Thursday, May 8, 2008

Silent Night

This is not your mother's version of Silent Night. It doesn't stay soft all the way through, something that I quite like. I "heard" the moving parts when I was listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sing this hymn during the Christmas season, so I sat down to write it out. This was actually my first effort at using something other than the standard piano-playing-the-choir-parts, and again I owe a debt of gratitude to my neighbor for playing through it and telling me when I wrote music that was humanly impossible to play! My computer program has no problem playing many octaves with one "hand"! I think the hymn arrangement progresses quite naturally from verse to verse, adding additional layers to each verse. I LOVE the third verse, and the build, then the decrescendo. I can't hear this hymn anymore without hearing the movement I put in. I hope you like it as much!

No comments: