Thursday, May 8, 2008

Redeemer of Israel

Redeemer of Israel came to pass because my favorite apostle, Elder David A Bednar, mentioned that this is his favorite hymn. As is always the case, it started with a simple idea of how I would do a certain verse - in this case, I wanted a major to minor change on the third verse, to indicate walking in the wilderness. I included all six verses of the hymn from my standard hymn book, and as always, the piano parts during the singing is fairly standard - playing along with the choir, with just a few note additions, or octave changes. I'm really bad at changes in the bass cleft. I plan on having the piano play along with the choir on the third verse if my choir has a hard time staying in the minor key. On the sixth verse, the Alto, Tenor and Bass parts all sing together on the melody, with a Soprano descant rephrasing the first verse overhead. I imagine it is what the angels are singing, as spoken of in the sixth verse, "He looks and ten thousands of angels rejoice." The last line was much more simple, with only 2 measures of piano, until my neighbor (and excellent piano player) insisted that I add more interest to the piano. I am very grateful for her input, as I think it made the music much more interesting.

No comments: